Fritz – Ammonia Test Kit NH3 / NH4
About Fritz Liquid Test Kits – Ammonia
Ammonia is one of the most important parameters to monitor in aquariums because any amount can be toxic to livestock if it is not addressed right away. Ammonia is commonly elevated in new tanks while establishing the beneficial biological filter. High ammonia can also be present in established aquariums from lack of maintenance, overstocking, or when the bio filter has been interrupted by medication. Ammonia can reach lethal levels very rapidly, and should be tested immediately in the case of fish illness or death. Monitor ammonia levels closely when using any medications or treatments.
The ammonia level in any tank should ideally always be at 0 ppm. Symptoms for acute and chronic ammonia poisoning include: heavy breathing and gasping at surface; clamped fins; discoloration; increased occurrence of disease; death.
Directions & Dosage
To remove childproof safety cap, push down while turning. DO NOT allow Test Solutions to get into aquarium.
- Fill a clean test tube with 5 ml of water to be tested (to the line on the tube).
- Add 8 drops from Ammonia Test Solution Bottle #1, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to ensure uniformity of drops added to the water sample.
- Add 8 drops from Ammonia Test Solution Bottle #2, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to ensure uniformity of drops to the water sample.
- Cap the test tube and shake for 5 seconds.
- Wait five minutes for the color to develop.
- Read the test results by matching the color of the solution against those on the appropriate Ammonia Test Color Chart included in the box. Be aware Freshwater and Saltwater results vary slightly.
- Up to 0.5 ppm – reduce feeding, remove excess detritus and debris, add all-in-one filter media MaxOut or MaxOut Pro to reduce organics. Detoxify ammonia with Fritz ACCR or Fritz Complete. Add FritzZyme nitrifying bacteria.
- 0.5 to 1 ppm – temporarily stop feeding, perform a partial water change, add all-in-one filter media MaxOut or MaxOut Pro to reduce organics. Detoxify ammonia with Fritz ACCR or Fritz Complete. Add FritzZyme nitrifying bacteria.
- 1 to 2 ppm – Perform a significant water change (approx. 50%) and follow above steps.
- 2+ ppm – Perform a significant water change (75% or more) and follow above steps. Consult an expert to find the cause of the imbalance if the problem persists.